THE TWENTY-SIXTH ANNUAL
UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS
HIGH SCHOOL HONOR BAND FESTIVAL
FEBRUARY 4th – 6th, 2016
Blue Band – Dr. Michael Hancock – Associate Director of Bands University of Oklahoma
Gray Band – Dennis Cox – Director of Bands Desoto Central High School
We would like to invite you and your students to join us for an exciting experience at our 26th Annual Honor Band. Please read this information carefully, as we look forward to receiving your nominations (deadline January 22, 2016) and seeing you in February.
Our three-day event includes rehearsals and concerts of the two Honor Bands and a special performance by the U of M Wind Ensemble and Southern Comfort Jazz Ensemble for the Honor Band participants, parents and directors.
Students selected for the Honor Bands must arrive on campus Thursday, February 4th at 3:00pm. Auditions for band, part assignment, and chair placement will be held between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. We are using an online application on the Honor Band website to nominate prospective U of M Honor Band members. Please nominate ONLY those students who will be able to participate if selected. Students will be selected in the following manner:
- Complete the online application. Please indicate the ranking order for your students on the form. After submitting the form, you will receive a confirmation email with the submitted information.
- The first student-musician from each school ranked by the high school band director will automatically be selected. Please be careful when nominating percussionists and saxophonists with a ranking of first. Remember that we are obligated to take those students nominated first by you and that we can accept only a limited number of students in those sections.
- The student from each school ranked second will probably be selected, depending on the total number nominated, musical awards and achievements, and instrumentation needs.
- Others from each school will be selected to balance instrumentation based upon your nomination and their musical honors, awards, and/or achievements.
- Audition music: Each student is asked to prepare a solo or etude that will best display his/her ability. Along with the prepared selection, students will be asked to perform scales and sightreading. Percussionists should prepare short excerpts on snare, timpani, and keyboard.
DEADLINE FOR FORMS TO BE SUBMITTED:
FRIDAY, JANUARY 22, 2016
Letters to directors and student-musicians will be emailed to directors shortly after the deadline. The list of music to be performed and final instructions will be forwarded at that time.
Please note: Each student will be charged a $35.00 participation fee that will include dinner on Friday evening and an Honor Band Patch. This amount will be collected in advance with one combined payment from each school after student-musician selections have been completed.
Please make arrangements for lodging soon. We will be happy to assist you in finding hotels in the Memphis area with good rates for students and directors if you need them. For questions or concerns, please call 901.678.2263.
We hope you will plan to nominate students to participate in the U of M Honor Bands Festival. We look forward to receiving your nominations.